LMU-DCOM WELCOMES THE CLASS OF 2014
July 28, 2010 - Harrogate, Tennessee – Lincoln Memorial University-DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM) welcomed its fourth class of students on July 27. With a full complement of classes and a current student body of approximately 634, LMU-DCOM now has one of the largest medical student enrollments in the state of Tennessee.
The 162 members of the Class of 2014 were greeted by faculty and staff and were formally welcomed to osteopathic medical school by Dr. Ray E. Stowers, vice president and dean of LMU-DCOM, Dr. B. James Dawson, president of LMU, and Dr. Autry O.V. “Pete” DeBusk, chairman of the LMU Board of Trustees. The students will go through a variety of orientation activities over the next three days, including meeting with faculty advisors and receiving training on the tablet computers each student is issued upon matriculation. Spouses of the osteopathic medical students will go through their own orientation, meeting with other spouses and getting information on the Student Advocate Association, a spouse and significant others support group. The osteopathic medical students will attend their first anatomy class on Friday.
Seventy-five students – or 46% of the Class of 2014 – hail from the immediate tri-state region of Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia. The remaining 54% of the class members come from all over the United States. The average age is 26. The class is 67% male and 33% female. Over 2,668 students applied for a spot in the Class of 2014, the most applicants LMU-DCOM has had to date. There were approximately 16 applications for every seat in the class.
The DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine is located on the campus of Lincoln Memorial University in Harrogate, Tennessee. LMU-DCOM is an integral part of LMU’s values-based learning community, and is dedicated to preparing the next generation of osteopathic physicians to provide healthcare in the often underserved region of Appalachia and beyond. For more information about LMU-DCOM, call 1-800-325-0900, ext. 7082, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit us online at www.lmunet.edu/dcom.
- 30 –
Caption 1: Members of the LMU-DCOM Class of 2014 complete the enrollment process during their first day of orientation.
<< previous page