News

LMU-DCOM WELCOMES THE CLASS OF 2015



July 27, 2011 - Lincoln Memorial University-DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM) welcomed its fifth class of students on July 26.

The 162 members of the Class of 2015 were greeted by faculty and staff and were formally welcomed to osteopathic medical school by Dr. Ray E. Stowers, vice president of health sciences and dean of LMU-DCOM, Dr. B. James Dawson, president of LMU, and Dr. Autry O.V. “Pete” DeBusk, chairman of the LMU Board of Trustees. The students will go through a variety of orientation activities over the next three days, including meeting with faculty advisors and receiving training on the tablet computers each student is issued upon matriculation. Spouses of the osteopathic medical students will go through their own orientation, meeting with other spouses and getting information on the Student Advocate Association, a spouse and significant others support group. The osteopathic medical students will attend their first anatomy class at the end of the week.

Nineteen of the members of the Class of 2015 are graduates of LMU’s Post-Baccalaureate Medical Science Program (PMSP), which began in 2010 and graduated its first class in May 2011. The PMSP is a full-time program of study designed for college graduates who want to pursue a career in medicine. The rigorous 12-month certificate program includes medical gross anatomy, in which the PMSP students attend class with the first-year LMU-DCOM students. Eighty percent of the PMSP inaugural class was admitted to the LMU-DCOM Class of 2015.

Seventy-eight students – or 48% of the Class of 2015 – hail from the immediate tri-state region of Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia. The remaining 52% of the class members come from all over the United States. The class is 47.5% male and 52.5% female. There were 2,849 applications for a spot in the Class of 2015, the most applicants LMU-DCOM has had to date. There were approximately 17 applications for every seat in the class.

The DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine is located on the campus of Lincoln Memorial University in Harrogate, Tennessee. LMU-DCOM is an integral part of LMU’s values-based learning community, and is dedicated to preparing the next generation of osteopathic physicians to provide health care in the often underserved region of Appalachia and beyond. For more information about LMU-DCOM, call 1-800-325-0900, ext. 7082, email dcom@lmunet.edu, or visit us online at www.lmunet.edu/dcom.

- 30 –

Shannon King (L) and Pamela Hanson (R) are two of the members of the LMU-DCOM Class of 2015 who began their osteopathic medical studies on July 26. Hanson, of Knoxville, Tenn., completed LMU’s Post-Baccalaureate Medical Science Program in May 2011.

<< previous page